Friday 31 August 2018

my speech




It's so short that its belly touches the ground, it’s the queens favourite animal, it's the cutest little thing in the world what am I talking about? That's right, it's a Corgi. Hi, my name is Adam and today I will be reading you my speech about why you should have a corgi.

Did you know that corgis were originally sheepdogs, who knew? Also, did you know the corgi means dwarf dog in Swedish? According to Welsh legend, fairies used to ride them.  Corgis have evolved into two types, the Cardigan and the Pembroke, which weren’t recognized as separate breeds until the 1930s.

Corgis are the 11th smartest dog breed according to professor called Stanley Coren. They are able to learn commands quickly, in 5-10 repetitions, and 85% of the time they obey commands the first time. Isn't that fabulous?

The royal family loves the Pembroke Welsh Corgis. Queen Elizabeth the second, has had over 30 corgis in her lifetime. Right now she has two corgis named Holly and Willow, as well as two corgi/dachshund mixes named Candy and Vulcan. The Queen got her first corgi when her father, King George brought a male dog home from a kennel in 1933. They named him Dookie and the future queen and her sister, Princess Margaret, fell in love with the breed.

The royal family got a second corgi named Jane who fell in love with Dookie and the canine couple had a litter of puppies. Two of which were kept. The Queen received another dog named Susan for her 18th birthday and ever since there have been corgis in the royal family.

Did you know Corgis have been used to predict the royal baby’s name? When Prince William and Kate Middleton had their second baby people took bets on the name. A gambling company in England called Ladbrokes used corgis to guess what the name would be. The company made an ad that had 10 corgis wearing vests with different names in a race to predict what the name of the child would be. The corgi sporting the name Alexandra won the race but this time they were wrong because they called her Charlotte.

I learned that corgis are very intelligent and are loved by the Royal Family.  And as you have already guessed, if I got a dog, I would have…… a little idebidy…... pug! Naaa,  i'm just kidding, I would have a corgi.

3 comments:

  1. Kia orana Adam! My name is Leo, I am in Rm 23 and my teacher is Mrs O'shea. I really enjoyed reading your speech about corgis and why you should get one. It reminded me of my dogs because they are both small like corgis and (in my opinion) small dogs are better that big dogs. I was really surprised when you said that corgis are sometimes used to predict royal baby names! I didn't know that.
    Are you thinking about getting a corgi? Because I am!
    If you would like to see my learning please visit: http://odsleor.blogspot.co.nz/
    Blog ya later!
    Leo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey leo, i will thanks for cheking out my speech and i recomend you check out more of my posts

      Delete
    2. i made a mestake i ment checking not cheking sorry

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.